Borris Viaduct

0.000
Contact Information
Borris , Co Carlow
Detailed Information

Borris Viaduct in County Carlow is a breath-taking limestone bridge, built in the 1860s. The viaduct was built to serve as the main route for the National Railways of Ireland (later the Great Southern & Western Railway).

The historic railway viaduct was built during the mid-19th century (c. 1860). It was conceived and executed by a prominent civil engineer of the time, William Richard le Fanu (1816 – 1894).

Passenger services ceased in 1931, but goods traffic continued until 1947. On the 1st January 1963, the line closed for good. It had been 108 years from the time the first sod was cut near Borris.

(image credit)